Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 7- Machu Picchu & Huayna Picchu

Yesterday we woke up WAY before dawn, around 330 am, to leave for Machu Picchu at 4 am. We took a 2 hour and 40 minute bumpy bus ride to the train station. The train ride was another hour and a half and it was really fun! I don't think I have ever ridden a train before so that was a cool experience. When we got to the little town where Machu Picchu is in we took another bus ride to the top, which was only about 20-30 minutes. The whole trip was absolutely gorgeous. When we were on the bus in the early morning the stars were incredibly bright & the scenery on the train ride was unreal. We are really lucky because we have had the chance to see so much of this beautiful country. When we got to the top of the mountain we had hike a little to get the archaeological site & when we finally saw it I was taken away by how huge it was. It definitely exceeded my expectations! For some reason I didn't think it was going to be so massive. The view was phenomenal. The site is surrounded by all of these mountains and it was the perfect day so we could see everything! It was amazing!


We had the best tour guide, his name is Washington. I could tell he really loves what he does. He would get so excited and so into what he was telling us about the archaeological sites. I am really glad we had him because I never would have known about all the history!




isn't that amazing?
 Half way through the tour he said we were going to hike a mountain called Huayana Picchu. I knew we were planning on hiking but I didn't realize how massive the mountain was we were hiking. I won't lie... I was a little really intimidated by it. I have never hiked a mountain where I had to literally crawl on my hands and knees to get up to the top. The view was amazing though and I would definitely do it again.. without a back pack! The hike was pretty tough considering we aren't quite adjusted to the altitude and it was a pretty intense climb, but I am really proud of the group! We did awesome! I also met some more missionaries on the hike and there were some members on the train ride. It's nice to be able to chat with strangers and have so much in common.
See that mountain covered in clouds? That is what we hiked!


This is a little cave AKA tomb! 


Llama pronounced "yama"

part of our hike.. I am pretty sure this was an easy part

at the top of the mountain. isn't that beautiful??

i think this picture says it all :)

we were IN THE CLOUDS! how cool is that??
After the hike we ate lunch and then went to tour more of Machu Picchu... in the rain, but it was so beautiful. The sun came out a little when it was raining so there was a rainbow over the site. It was absolutely breath taking. I can try to explain to you how pretty this country is and how amazing the mountains and Machu Picchu are, but the pictures don't do it justice. All of you need to see this place in person. 


see the rainbow?

leaving Machu Picchu

Us and Washington!
After the tour, we got back on the bus to go down the mountain and walked around the village a bit. Then we got back on the train for 2 hours and we played charades... all things related to our Peru trip... I don't think I have laughed so much in my life. The people in my group are so great! After the train we got on another bus for another 2 1/2 hours. We napped and serenaded Washington, our tour guide, and Henry, our driver. I'm not sure how they felt about that but it was fun haha. We got back around 1030 and I went straight to bed and passed out! This trip has made a lot of my top moments [IE top 3 scariest moments, top 3 most amazing moments etc].


love this picture!
I swear none of these pictures are photo shopped... we were really there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment