Okay. So you know how I said going to Huara Huara was probably one of the most life changing things I have ever done? Well, today is definitely in my top 3. We had to sign up for 2 different slots for the week and one of the slots I signed up for was this morning. We knew we would be doing some type of screening, but other than that we had no idea where we going, what we would really be doing, what language the women spoke, and what the conditions would be like. We got picked up by the Cusco police and they escorted us to a village called Ccauro. First of all, I don't know if I ever mentioned how
crazy the drivers here are, but the police man who drove us drove us all around this town and we ended up on the wrong side of the mountain. Whoopsies. Also, instead of stopping when they see a car or a person or a dog in their way they honk... in hopes that person will move. Of course the drive was absolutely gorgeous, but we were all really surprised when the truck drove down this tiny little road that consisted of mud, rocks, and a little stream. Then the truck stopped and we got out only to hike through the mud, rocks, and the stream to get to this
amazing village. All of the houses were made out of the mud bricks and they were so many beautiful flowers and gardens and it was just amazing. We set up tables in an old school room to do the cancer screenings. It was unlike anything I have ever done in my life. We were the only 4 who spoke any English and everyone else spoke Spanish. It was crazy being in a situation where no one around you speaks the same language as you, but like I said before I am getting good at hand gestures and saying phrases that relate to anything to do with pap smears...[use your imagination :p].To be able to help these women in ways that they would never be able to help themselves is such a good feeling. We did 51 pap smears today and every single woman was so grateful to us. After we were finished they made us lunch and we were on our way. This was such a humbling experience because these people live in houses made of mud, pee in holes in the ground, and don't have hot showers yet they are all
so happy. In the few days I have been here I have really started to love these people!
.jpg) |
| This is were we got dropped off. Then we had to hike a little to the school house |
.jpg) |
| This is part of the village |
.jpg) |
| This is where we did the screenings. It an old school house |
.jpg) |
| One of the tables we did paps on. It didn't have stir ups so we had to use chairs |
.jpg) |
| Deb and Marguerite! |
+(800x533).jpg) |
| Us with some of the people in the village |
.jpg) |
| I loved this sweet lady! |
.jpg) |
| Our police escort |
.jpg) |
| These cute little boys spent at least an hour pushing the little one around on that car |
.jpg) |
| Add caption |
We went to this really fun restaurant in down town Cusco for dinner tonight! It is called Tunupa and they have Peruvian music and dancers & a really freaking awesome buffet. I tried alpaca and it was actually really good. They also had some really amazing lamb and tres leches cake.
.jpg) |
| Towards the end of the night the dancers brought people up to dance with them & Dr. Ferris was one of the lucky ones :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment