Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 2- Cuzco

I am continually amazed by the beauty of this country. Cuzco is absolutely breath taking. The mountains are so enormous and beautiful. The flight from Lima to Cuzco was about an hour and it was the most gorgeous view. When we got here we got settled in and went to the bank, the market and this amazing bakery. Outside of the bank there was the most beautiful little boy playing with this tiny little puppy. Keep in mind the people here speak very little to no English and I speak pretty much no Spanish. I know some important words like bathroom, please, thank you, hello, etc. I'm hoping to expand my Spanish vocabulary more on this trip! Anyways! The Peruvian people are so beautiful... especially the children. We went to the market to get some food! Very interesting little place. It has a lot of the same stuff we have in the US with some slight variations. Okay. So this bakery is probably the best place in the world. I bought a Concha [I think that is what it was called]. It is a pastry filled with caramel and covered in powdered sugar. oh. my.gosh. seriously the best thing I have ever eaten. It is a good thing we are doing a lot of walking because I would probably gain a million pounds because the food is so cheap here. Another crazy thing about Peru are all of the wild cats and dogs. There are SO many here and they just roam the streets. They don't bother people much. 

I got to work in the CerviCusco clinic for a little bit today, but unfortunately it was short lived. I definitely started to feel nauseous and dizzy so I had to go lay down and nap! The last good nights sleep I got was Tuesday...I think. I think i'm just too excited to sleep! I still just can't believe how beautiful this country is! Being here really makes me want to travel all around the world. The world is way too pretty to not see!

The Andes Mountains are breath taking

Those boxes have live guinea pigs in them... they call it cuy here and it a delicacy among the Peruvian people. I haven't tried it... yet.

The room leigh ann, christine, tya and I are staying in. 

One of the amazing views from the roof of the clinic. There is Casita up there as well, which is another small room we can stay in. 

I loved watching this little boy. He was absolutely precious. 
I really like the way the parents and families handle the children. The moms wrap the babies up in blankets and pretty much sling them over their backs until they are about 1 year old. It is similar to a moby wrap except way cooler and 1000 times less expensive. The little kids kind of just run around. They don't strap their kids to leashes or yell at them. The women are also really open about breast feeding too. Something that is also different from the US.

The meat and cheese section at the market

The baker at that amazing bakery we went too!

some of the food i bought

gorgeous.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! What an amazing experience! Thanks for writing about it so that we can enjoy the beauty too (even if we aren't there in person)! Enjoy your trip and good luck with the language!!!

    p.s. I look forward to many more posts =)

    ReplyDelete