I think I may have hit a turning point this week though. Wednesday night I had the young women from church at my house because we were making pizza! Somehow the topic of conversation went from pizza to how fat they all thought they were. It made me really sad, because I love those girls! They are like little sisters to me and it breaks my heart that they think like that, because it can honestly lead onto a very destructive path. This habit that I have of calling myself fat and ugly needs to stop...well, yesterday. I don't ever want any of my kids or my girls at church to hear me say that. That almost gives them permission to think the exact same thing. I have never once heard my mom call herself fat and I am grateful for that. From this day on, I am going to try really hard to be more positive about the way I look. I was given this body for a reason and I need to be more grateful for it.
I think, instead of focusing on those girls in the magazines, we need to surround ourselves with positive images and thoughts and turn our focus away from being "skinny" and more towards being healthy. I get weekly emails from "Heart Health Everyday" and there was a link in the email to a website that had a list of 30 ways to boost your body image. Some of those ways include... move your body by doing activities you love, compliment yourself, think of one thing your body did for you today, smile, compliment someone else, and read something inspiring. Those are just a few, but my favorite idea was post or read something to your inspiration board. The board includes pictures and quotes that inspire you, things that make you happy... basically anything that inspires you in a positive way. Whenever you are feeling down you can look to this board and read something off of it. I will be making one of these and it will more than likely turn into a young women's activity. If any of my girls are reading this, I want you to know that Heavenly Father loves you and gave you the body you have for a reason. Be thankful for what you have be given. If you wouldn't want your little sisters to talk negatively about themselves, then you should show yourself the same respect.
![]() |
| "Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great purpose in heart." ~ Gordon B. Hinckley |


Amanda, I LOVE this post! I have (of course) struggled with all the same doubts and insecurities. One thing that I always come back to is research I read once showing that the single most important thing for a child's body image (boy or girl) is the way their mother felt about her body. I want my kids - especially my daughter, since girls are usually the worst hit! - to be able to feel great about themselves. And that has to start with me.
ReplyDeleteAnd for what it's worth, I've always thought you were gorgeous!
Such a wonderful post, Amanda! It is kind of ironic because when we were sitting behind you last night I said to Mike, "She's so pretty." I have always think that you are so pretty with such pretty eyes and a lovely figure and I love the way you do your hair.. It just goes to show you never know the insecurities that someone may be feeling.
ReplyDeleteIt was so touching to read how much you love your Young Women and how you feel pain when they don't feel good about themselves.