Sunday, September 16, 2012

baby duck no more


In my first week of nursing school our nursing professors referred  to us as "baby ducks." They said we all flock together and follow our clinical instructors around like a baby duck does with its momma.   Idk if I ever realized how true that was until the past few weeks. Normally this time of year I would be starting classes and clinicals. Instead, I am planning fun things on my days off and secretly wishing I was able to buy school supplies. And there is a whole new group of "baby ducks" starting classes and clinicals. As a matter of fact, there are 3 different groups of students on the floor I work on. And one of those groups are from MCG & the clinical instructor is one of my favorite instructors and adviser. First of all, let me say how weird to not be apart of the group of smurfs [MCG students wear royal blue... hence the smurfs] wandering around the floor not knowing 100% what in the world they are doing. [Well I probably still seem like I am wandering not 100% knowing what i'm doing, but now my ID badge says RN instead of student.] Second, it is really weird when the students come and ask me advice or questions about how to do things. Aren't I the one who should be asking all the questions? Third, it is also strange seeing my professor on the floor and not having to report back to her every couple of hours making sure I gathered all of my supplies for the bed bath I was about to give or spouting off the many side effects of medications I memorized for that day.

Up until the moment I saw the group of new students for the first time I still considered myself a "baby duck." Every day at work I report to an experienced nurse who was to show me all the ropes on the floor... very similar to how it worked when I was in school. Well every day up until last Friday. Friday marked my last day of orientation, which means I am officially taking care of patients by myself for the first time ever on Wednesday. I won't lie I am pretty nervous.... Kind of like how I was the first time I ever knocked on a patients door. I will never forget that day. I remember the patient, the diagnosis, all of the tasks I had to perform, & the nervousness that came with doing all of these things. Honestly, I think there is always going to be a hint of nervousness inside of me, but for now I am going to enjoy doing what I love and happily helping the "baby ducks" on my floor... because I know how scary it can be.

1 comment:

  1. I just love you. You are so selfless and generous and kind. I am so proud to call you my friend, and you are going to do amazing "swimming" on your own. You got this! :) - CarrieJ.

    ReplyDelete